18 September 2008

Temperance

I wrote a poem entitled that. Different topic, but same story. In the last week, I have heard more drunken mishaps from my fellow conservative colleagues in the university than anywhere else. Alcohol is rampant and I don't approve. I will not condone in any way the illicit and explicit use of alcohol. If I know that you overindulge in this fire-water, I will lose respect for you. Simple as that. I don't condone "meetings" held in bars or the "kegger" for winning an election. I am sorry, no I'm not, but this is outrageous and indecent and immoral. I beg of you, if you agree with me, please write a comment for this. We need to show a solid front against these backwoods drunkards. I feel like we did this a hundred years ago...

4 comments:

spode said...

While I agree with you for the most, I think that going backwards is foolish and that temperance will never work. People need to learn self control and if they can't then they should not be in a position of leadership.

Victorian Lady said...

I'm not saying Prohibition; I'm saying that abuse of alcohol has come to a peak within a hundred years and since our culture is more denegrated than then, it is far more accepted and neglected as a character flaw.

spode said...

No that is just in college not in the real world. It is considered a major flaw in ones person. While most consider it a sickness I consider it a choice. It showes a lack of character to become a drunk.

Victorian Lady said...

If it is just college campuses, then why is it okay for celebrities to be alcoholics before they are even twenty and drug addicts? it is popular culture, it is society. It may be a choice, but is a socially accepted choice to be a complete disgrace to the religion (if any), country, and society you represent in the "real world".